This is my second week on my whole foods diet, which has had some surprising results:
1. No noticeable weight loss. Since this was my main reason for going on the diet, I'm a little disappointed. But with the changes I've made, long-term weight loss seems inevitable, so I'm not too concerned.
2. No headaches. I usually have a little one every day (thanks, law school) and a big one every few days, but I have been doing well. Maybe it's the reduction in caffeine - not the elimination, mind you. The diet calls for that but it's the one thing I won't even kid myself about. I require caffeine to keep myself from passing out on top of whatever casebook happens to be in front of me.
3. Better skin. I don't know for sure, but I feel like my skin is continuing to improve, even though I haven't been outside. I credit the suntan and exercise for helping me out earlier this summer, but now that I am back to living a strictly sedentary and indoor life, I tend to think it's the diet change that's sustaining.
4. Money saved. At least, I think. My produce-heavy grocery shopping lists ain't cheap, but because I have to take my meals and snacks with me and I'm not spending a buck and a quarter on diet coke a few times a week, I think my overall food costs have gone down.
5. I have a serious whole food superiority complex already. True to form, I now can't keep my mouth shut when people comment on the contents/treatment of whatever serving of processed food they're about to eat. My friends are so patient with me.
Voice of Witness Returns to McSweeney’s
17 hours ago
You are the most, best superior person I know (but humble and self-effacing). Thanks for the update!
ReplyDeleteOh, just what I would have said! I posted on my blog - finally! You set a high standard, always.
ReplyDelete